Last last Friday eve (timely, this post is not), we had a much-anticipated ladies night.
Why? Because it had taken us months to get together. And 5 out of 7 live in the city. For shame.
Restaurant chosen? After much debate, Politica.
Located inconspicuously between Queen West & Libery Village, tucked away on Strachan, it was completely different from what I had expected. The resto pic from dineT.O featured a brightly lit, casual, Mediterranean-style space. What we walked into was warm, intimate, & darkly romantic.
The perfect date spot.
I was about to have a date with 6 beautiful ladies.
photo cred: kingwestrestaurants.blogspot.com
Over a few bottles of vino, shared appetizers & our entrées – we traded stories, updates, escapades of the single life (and there were lots), relationship insights, woes, travel plans, career advice…imagine it all.
The food was delicious, but will be honest, not outstanding. Ranging from fair to excellent, the sea bass was the highlight (for me personally).
And remember, I’m a highly visual person. Beautiful presentation makes me love a dish that much more.
As romantic as the ambiance was, could barely make out what was on the plate. Didn’t know if I was cutting into lightly grilled peppers or sea bass. You should never have to guess.
Unless, you’re at O’Noir.
Add a few more candles please, and we’ll be back to give it another try.
Sea bass with grilled market vegetables, asparagus, mini potatoes
photo cred: TT
- baby arugula, fennel, apple & artichoke, golden raisins, pine nuts, gorgonzola cheese, white balsamic pink peppercorn dressing -
It pains, but easily forgettable:
Avocado & buffalo mozzarella salad
Oven baked tomato, roasted red peppers, zuchinni & topped with buffalo mozzarella (think veggie lasagna, without the noodles)
Soup of the day: Leek & potato topped with old cheddar
Until next time:
Stuffed calamari (with apple & fennel sausage)
Truffle wild mushroom parpardelle
And any one of their pizzas (just feast your eyes on those ingredients):
- danish brie, anjou pear, candied walnuts, proscuitto, topped w. arugula & house dressing -
- basil pesto, spicy Italian sausage, red onion, roasted red pepper, goat cheese -
- gorgonzola cream sauce, proscuitto, grilled chicken, roasted garlic, asiago, old cheddar -
- basil tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, rapini, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes mozzarella -
- basil pesto sauce, spicy tiger prawns, shaved red onion, baby spinach, mozzarella -
127 Strachan Ave
Read Full Post »